Funkin’s third annual Funkin Innovation Forum was held on 22nd March at The Cocktail Trading Co.’s newest location in Shoreditch. This year’s Forum focused on the current and future trends in the food and drinks industry and welcomed industry leaders in the bar and food scene to have open dialogue on what’s hot and what’s not and most of all what’s innovative.
We also took the opportunity to share our latest product innovation, including Funkin Pro Jalapeño syrup, Funkin Pro Smoked Syrup and Funkin Pro Apriconilla Puree, which were showcased in cocktails created by our Funkin Innovation Champion, Massimo Zitti. These drinks were paired with food conceptualised by Masterchef Professional winner Steven Edwards who was also a guest speaker at the event.
During the Forum, the group discussed three topics: Global Influences, Cocktails/Innovation and Consumer Trends.
Highlights from these breakout sessions were:
- Top flavours: Mexican is big. Also, there is a return to simple cooking ie outdoor barbeques and slow roasting
- Travel is key for bartenders to see what’s being done in other markets
- London is the cocktail capital and bartenders are looking to find inspiration from within the UK
- Social media is key for consumers as well as bartenders to keep innovating
- Keep cocktail menus simple and make sure the ones featured are executed well
- Classic cocktails are still popular
- Gin is still a leading spirit in cocktails
- Consumers are continuing to experiment at home and interested in making their own infusions in food and drink
The compere for this year’s event was Richard Siddle, former editor of Harpers Wine & Spirit.
Want to learn more about the event and how we can help to develop your menu or create something new for your bar or restaurant, get in touch.