Did you know?
In the UK 1,900,000 tonnes of food are wasted by the food industry per year*, yet 8.4 million people can’t afford food**? No we can’t quite believe it either. And 20 – 40% of UK fruit and vegetables are rejected before they reach the supermarkets because they ‘do not meet cosmetic standards*
Well, if you’re reading this you probably already know that we absolutely LOVE fruit (and no we are not exaggerating) it’s at the core of everything we do and something we take pretty seriously. We believe the best fruit comes in all shapes and sizes and if it meets our standards set for taste that it certainly should not go to waste. We also firmly believe that something needs to be done to reduce the shocking correlation between food waste and food poverty.
So, in a bid to make the world a better, fruit loving, no wasting place, we’ve teamed up with Fareshare. The UK’s leading food charity that is dedicated to preventing good quality, surplus food from being needlessly wasted by redistributing to the voluntary sector. This includes; care homes, homeless shelters, school breakfasts and ex-military facilities to name a few. In fact, Fareshare provided food for 28.6 million meals in 2016***
What are we doing to help?
Here at Funkin, we believe that everyone has a responsibility to help reduce food waste and tackle food poverty. That’s why since 1999 we continue to produce products using real fruit that have a whole range of benefits and ensure minimal to no waste. Check out how we’re doing this below:
- Our products are ambient and have a long shelf life when unopened, so they can be stored in a dry place until you’re ready
- Once opened, products can be stored in the fridge and consumed at a later date so no need to throw away if you don’t use it all straight away (durations do vary, please see individual products for more information)
- Our products ensure consistency every time, meaning you won’t need to start again and waste liquid
- The quality of some fruits can vary depending on the season, such as strawberries. We ensure fruits are picked at their peak time meaning you receive the highest quality fruits all year around and so won’t need to throw any away in disappointment
- Products can be frozen for use later, so you can stock up on as many as can fit in your freezer
- Our range reduces labour and preparation time meaning you can spend more time doing the things that really matter
- As our products are all made using real fruit but we have taken the hassle of peeling, chopping and dicing away from you. Meaning you can use the exact quantity you need and not worry about throwing those fruit peels or skins away.
What happens during the Funkin production process?
As you may well already know we use fruits from all over the world to ensure you get the best quality all year round.
This ethos of top quality doesn’t just apply to our products, we ensure that every aspect of our business is the best quality it can be including our production and distribution. We’ve been working hard behind the scenes to make sure that all organic waste such as fruit waste, seeds, skins and pips are collected and spread by farmers. We also ensure that our distribution methods are streamlined so they deliver cost efficiencies and help to reduce waste.
All of this means you can enjoy any of our products in a bar or at home with one less thing on your conscious.
As well as our products contributing to reducing waste, we are also fundraising to help our friends at Fareshare continue to save the world one meal at a time.
For more information visit www.fareshare.org.uk
*WRAP (2016) Quantification of food surplus, waste and related materials in the grocery supply chain
**Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Voices of the Hungry, 2016